Monday, June 04, 2012

 

The Leaden Boot- Event Report

I'm a bit late posting this, it's been quite a hectic week! The Leaden Boot... it was tough... very tough! Lots of climbing and I really don't think that the shearing heat of last weekend helped.

I think that this is only the second year this event was run, and it was a complete sell out. I can see why as the views are just magnificent. As I headed to the little village of Alstonefield I could tell it was going to be a scorcher, so knew I was going to have to keep myself well hydrated. I checked in, grabbed a cuppa and had heard that there was to be a 'blessing of the Boots' ceremony by Alstonefield's lady vicar. Intrigued, I joined in- it was held in a little garden opposite the village hall, and after prayers and a song, we all filed out to have our boots (or running shoes in my case) blessed with water which apparently has anti-blistering properties. I didn't actually get a blister all day, but maybe by next year they can work on anti-aching properties too!!

I saw Ross and we walked together which was great as it does make such a difference having someone to chat with and we walk at a similar pace.

We set off at 9am, shattering the peace of this sleepy little village, and it was already very warm. I didn't even bother to bring my waterproofs as the chances of rain were nil;

                                         Ready For The Off

The route starts off deceptively downhill, along a lovely wall lined road to Milldale and over Viators Bridge. All semblence of a genteel walk now ended as we started to climb right out of the Dovedale valley, following a crocodile of people;

As we climbed, the views became better and better;

After a brief ridge walk there followed a very steep descent down into the first self clip checkpoint and Nabdale.

This brought us very briefly into Dovedale, but we were soon climbing again by Ilam Rock;

                                                      Ilam Rock
                                         Dovedale
This was a tough ascent, made worse by the heat. It was worth it though when we passed into open moorland for a simply stunning view down the Dovedale valley towards Thorpe Cloud.

There was a welcome descent to the first proper checkpoint at Ilam Hall, set in beautiful grounds. The organisers had thoughtfully provided bowls of cold water and sponges to help us cool off. I was wearing my 'desert hat' so dunked this into the water at every checkpoint.

                                                      Ilam
Past Ilam, the route climbed through fields and then a track through a valley and Musden Woods to the next checkpoint at Slade House. The heat seemed to be really affecting people at this point and Ross felt unwell for most of the day, but incredibly finished the event even though he must have been feeling really rough. I gather that quite a few folk had to drop out during the day.

After Slade House, there was more climbing, plus a small detour to avoid a huge bull that was right in our path. The views were stunning;


After a descent to the ruins of Old Throwley Hall, we turned towards the Manifold Cycle trail, passing the impressive craggy cliffs of Beeston Tor.

After a brief respite along the Manifold cycle trail, we were soon climbing again, heading for Grindon and the next checkpoint, where we had a brief rest under the shade of a tree and snacked on salted pretzels. I was feeling quite tired at this point and felt my feet and thighs aching. Each checkpoint displayed the number of miles completed but it was quite demoralising as it was always less that we felt we should have done.

After Grindon came the descent to busy Wetton Mill and a welcome ice lolly and loo stop, before a steep haul up Ecton Hill, the brooding prescence now confronting us. The 360 degree panorama from the top made up for the hard work though.
                                         Ecton Hill


                                         View From Ecton Hill

A long grassy descent past abandoned mine shafts brought us to the next check point by the folly. There were a few people waiting for a companion but as there was no sign of him they left word for the checkpoint staff to persuade him to retire when he reached it and they went off ahead.

We were to join the Manifold Trail again for a little while, before heading off through fields and Sheen village towards Sheen Hill.

                                        Sheen Hill
After checkpoint 6 (where there were chocolate bars in a cooler- bliss!) we climbed again, before a gradual descent into Hartington. The views were, as always, glorious but we had passed the point of being able to appreciate them as it was now a case of head down, teeth gritted and just get through it. Although it was now late afternoon the temperature did not seem to have dropped at all.


Finally we were on a track towards Hartington and the last checkpoint. To my dismay the checkpoint sign read 21.5 miles completed and I realised that we still had another 4 miles to go, but then one of the guys manning the checkpoint told us to ignore that and that we only had around 2.5 miles to go. It was the best news he could have given me (apart from telling me we had reached the finish) and I actually felt a bit of energy coming back for the last couple of miles.

We went through a lovely little valley called Narrowdale, and on climbing out overtook quite a few people.

                                         Approaching Narrowdale
The sight of Alstonefield several fields away was an extremely welcome one, and it was such a relief to stop, sit down, have a coffee and some very good vegetarian pie, I can also highly recommend the home made lemon cake!

This was a toughie, especially given the weather, but a glorious route and one I am sure I will do again! 
                   

Labels: ,


Comments:
Just as tough as I remember it, appreciate getting me round.

It is, however, a fantastic event, that we can feel justifiably proud to have finished.

I was absolutely on empty at the end, and got back to the cottage and fell asleep pretty much straight away after (a shower).

Will probably give it a break in 2013.
 
It was fantastic and the certificate was certainly a hard earned one!

Thanks for your company, it helped me round too- I collapsed into the bath when I got home and couldn't be bothered to get out for ages.

I'd love to do it again but I will see how I feel next year...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?